Fascinated by computers and technology, but looking for a job that lets you express your artistic side? You might want to consider a career as a web designer!
Here’s everything you need to know about the web designer profession.
The role of a web designer
A web designer’s main job is to create the visual identity of their clients’ websites. They use their graphic design and computer science skills to create optimized web pages and visually appealing interfaces that meet UX (user experience) and UI (user interface) design standards.
A web designer’s role may include the following tasks, depending on their clients’ requirements:
- Design the client’s graphic charter
- Choose every graphic aspect of the site based on the client’s visual identity (colours, illustrations, pictures, icons, typography, animations, etc.)
- Create presentation models for each web page
- Determine clients’ needs and requirements and create a site that meets their expectations
- Understand and consider the various IT issues and constraints related to web design
Skills and aptitudes needed for the profession
In order to write a CV that will stand out to recruiters, web designers should highlight certain hard and soft skills, such as:
- Mastery over graphic design software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, Quark, etc.)
- Knowledge of programming languages used in web design (HTML, Java)
- Creativity, imagination and curiosity
- Good general knowledge base for design concept research
- Organized and observant
- Up to date on artistic, graphic and technological trends
Education needed to become a web designer
In Quebec, there are several different paths aspiring web designers can take to learn the necessary skills.
First, they should complete a diploma of college studies (DEC) in a program like computer science, graphic design, web design or multimedia integration.
A university degree in graphic arts can also help them develop their web design skills.
Salary and job prospects for web designers in Quebec
Web designers are paid quite well in Quebec and throughout Canada. According to Statistics Canada and Emploi Québec, a web designer’s salary can be anywhere between $15-16/h and $38-40/h, with an average of $21.63/h. Of course, the salary increases with experience.
Web designers may also choose to explore other related positions over the course of their careers. Marketing manager, artistic director and design manager are a few of the positions that may be open to web designers.
Find a web design job with the help of Fed IT
The web designer profession is unique in the IT sector because it combines both technical and artistic skills. Since the internet is now an indispensable tool for companies, this profession is a great option for people who love both IT and design.
Looking for a web designer job in Quebec? Fed IT posts new IT job offers daily for clients in Greater Montreal, the North Shore and the South Shore.
Looking for a web designer to join your team? Let Fed IT recruit the perfect candidate for you.