Interested in a career in IT? The system and network administrator profession could be a career path to consider.
Find out more about the role, duties, education, skills and salary of a system and network administrator in Quebec.
The role of a system and network administrator
The system and network administrator’s role is to manage a company’s servers and computer systems, keep them operational, and oversee their security in order to protect the company’s information.
The position can be internal or external, depending on the size of the organization, and the duties can vary depending on where they work.
The system and network administrator position can involve the following duties:
- Determine which software to install (or uninstall) and which hardware to use
- Make sure the computer equipment can adequately transmit data
- Set up the computer equipment and create interfaces that are adapted to each user
- Oversee the security of the entire computer system
- Manage routers and switches
- Carry out software updates
- Find, resolve and anticipate bugs
- Monitor technological advances and stay up-to-date on emerging trends and news
Education needed to become a system and network administrator
There are several different ways to get the education needed to become a system and network administrator in Quebec. Some employers may require a university degree, while others are satisfied with CEGEP education.
Here are some examples of programs that can lead to the profession:
- A Diploma of College Studies (DEC) in computer science
- An Attestation of College Studies (AEC) in computer science
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or another relevant field
- A Diploma of Vocational Studies (DEP) in computing support, followed by training to become a network administrator
Skills and aptitudes needed for a career as a system and network administrator
Candidates who want to become system and network administrators must have a wide range of hard skills. There are also certain soft skills they need in order to carry out their management duties.
These skills include:
- Mastery over the various operating systems (Windows, Unix, Linux, etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of internet technologies and network environments
- Knowledge of common programming languages and database structures
- Aptitude for analysis and problem-solving
- Leadership and management qualities
- Diligent and detail-oriented
- Good communication skills
Salary and job prospects for a system and network administrator in Quebec
According to Statistics Canada, a system and network administrator’s salary can be anywhere between $17/h and $47/h depending on experience, with an average of around $31/h.
Job prospects for this profession are fairly good in Quebec. The position is in higher demand in regions like Montreal and Quebec City.
Find work as a system and network administrator with the help of Fed IT
The system and network administrator is an important profession in the IT sector. These professionals are responsible for managing computer systems and overseeing their security.
Interested in a career as a system and network administrator? Fed IT’s placement service can help you find a job that’s exactly what you’re looking for.