Web development is a constantly evolving field. More and more companies are realizing that nowadays, having an online presence is essential.
Since cell phones and tablets are being used more than ever, adapting a business’s online presence to mobile devices is of paramount importance. Therefore, mobile app developers are highly sought after by employers.
Interested in becoming a mobile app developer? Fed IT specialists have created a job description for the profession.
The role of a web and mobile app developer
The main role of a mobile app developer is to develop apps for use on mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. They may also be tasked with creating a mobile version of an existing website.
In the course of their work, a mobile app developer may be required to carry out the following tasks:
- Developing application programming interfaces to support mobile functionalities
- Processing data to create or improve apps
- Carrying out performance tests on apps, considering how they might evolve and anticipating potential problems
- Debugging apps when necessary
- Actively communicating with clients to understand their needs and ensure satisfaction
- Collaborating continuously with colleagues to keep innovating
- Keeping an eye out for new mobile technology and industry news
Skills and aptitudes needed for the profession
Recruiters and employers generally look for mobile app developers who have certain hard and soft skills.
Here are a few of the skills usually listed in job postings for this profession:
- Creative and curious about the field
- Good analytical skills and problem solving
- Knowledge of programming languages
- Excellent math skills and logic
- Organization and communication with both the team and clients
Education needed to become a mobile app developer
To find work as a mobile app developer, some formal education is required.
Some employers may only consider candidates who have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science or another relevant field. Others may only require computer science at the CEGEP level (DEC).
Recruiters also look for developers who already have some professional experience in the field.
Mobile app developer: salary and job prospects
In Canada, the average salary for an app developer is approximately $60,000 per year. Depending on the workplace and the position, an app developer’s salary can start around $40,000. After a few years of experience, the amount can increase to over $90,000.
The app developer profession can lead to a variety of career opportunities in the IT industry. As they gain experience, developers can move on to positions such as software architect, IT project manager, etc.
Find a mobile app developer job with the help of Fed IT
In summary, web and mobile app developers are tasked with creating new apps for mobile devices and/or adapting existing sites for mobile use.
These IT professionals need skills such as creativity, curiosity, math and communication.
Job prospects for app developers are generally good throughout Quebec. If you want a career in the IT industry, why not follow this path for your professional development?