Do you want to work in IT in Quebec? Are you an analytical type who’s fascinated by software and app development?
Then software tester might be the job for you! Keep reading for a full job description, including education, responsibilities and salary.
Education and training
Software testers are also known as “quality assurance” (QA) testers. To become a QA/software tester in Quebec, you’ll need a post-secondary degree in computer science, software engineering or any field related to software development.
Most employers want candidates with a DEC or bachelor’s degree in one of the above areas, but some may also require a master's degree. In certain cases, you may only need a certification to work as a software developer.
You can also look into professional certifications that allow you to specialize even further within the field of software testing, though this isn’t a must.
Role and responsibilities
As the job title suggests, software testers design and execute tests to evaluate software products. Their primary goal is to identify and correct any and all potential bugs or errors.
QA testers may be responsible for:
- Preparing and conducting tests to evaluate software
- Communicating with the different software design teams (developers, IT analysts, etc.) to determine which tests to run
- Planning tests
- Writing up the test results in performance and incident reports
- Presenting and explaining the results to clients or the project teams
Software testers may work for IT companies or companies that specialize in developing software for third parties. Testers may also work for large companies that develop their own software in-house.
Skills and characteristics
To be a software tester in Quebec, you need to:
- Know how to design different software tests
- Know the various methods of software development
- Understand software development life cycle (SDLC) models
- Be able to analyze and synthesize information
- Be well-organized and responsible
- Be a self-starter
- Enjoy working in a team
- Be bilingual (French/English)
Salary and job outlook in Canada
Average software/QA tester salaries start at $50,000 and can go up to $70,000.
The software and app development industry is booming, and demand for software testers will likely continue to rise, meaning that well-qualified candidates have excellent chances of landing a QA tester position.
Fed IT can help launch your career as a software tester
The future of software testing in Quebec is bright. Software and QA testers can expect great job prospects and plenty of room to grow within the IT sector.
Are you interested in becoming a software tester in Quebec or Canada? If so, feel free to contact the experts at Fed IT!